Subject: RE: License Proliferation Committee Response
From: "Laura Majerus" <LMajerus@fenwick.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:36:33 -0700

 Sun, 4 Sep 2005 19:36:33 -0700
All, I have been on a family vacation this weekend and am just now reading through the
backlog of license discuss messages. You guys got active all of a sudden. I'm writing
this on a Treo, so forgive typing misrakes.

I regularly read license-discuss but don't post much because I want to be guided by
the community and not vice versa.   Russ is the head of the OSI license approval committee
and makes recommendations to the board based on comments from this list about licenses
to approve. I see Larry's suggestions concerning the OSL as related to aproval and not
the LP committe's first project (i.e., tiering). Our second project is a licensing wizard.
We just got some programming volunteers for this. I see the LP committee doing other
projects down the road intended to chip away at license proliferation issues. . It's
silly to think that tiering will solve this issue. It's just a step toward addressing
people's concerns. One concern is that newbies have trouble picking licenses going forward
and that's all thqat tiering is supposed to address.

The LP committee is working on getting a first cut of tiering factors for the LP-discuss
list to comment on. I will certainly post here to alert you all when we post our first
effort. I expect *lots* of discussion when we post that.

Feel free to post questions and I'll happily try to answer them.

Laura