Subject: RE: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: "Jon Rosenberg (PBM)" <jonr@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:25:44 -0700

 Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:25:44 -0700
When I committed in my last posting to consulting the community on future license revisions,
I really wasn't expecting that I'd be doing it this week. :-)  Nevertheless, it seems
that opinion on the Permissive License name is divided and it's time to make good on
that commitment.  While we also couldn't find anything in the OSD that mentions the
license name, the fact remains that some folks do not feel that the contents of the
license are clearly communicated by the term, "Permissive."  We have also sought feedback
from the hundreds of licensors who are using the Microsoft licenses today.  They told
us something quite different: that the Community License name did not adequately communicate
the fact that this license was reciprocal.  As I stated in my previous post, our goal
is clarity and transparency.  The goal of the license titles was clear differentiation
between a reciprocal license and a permissive license, so I would like to propose a
revision that I hope will get us closer to that goal.  I would like to get all of your
feedback on the following name revisions:
*       Microsoft Community License becomes Microsoft Reciprocal License
*       Microsoft Permissive License becomes Microsoft Open License
I look forward to your feedback.  Thanks.

Jon