Subject: RE: Public domain software is not open-source?
From: "Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:02:21 -0800
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:02:21 -0800
Nigel Tzeng wrote:

Public Domain software, when the source code is available, meets all of the
OSD requirements but it isn't under a OSI approved Open Source license since
there is no license.   However, public domain software can be re-used under
an OSD compliant license, so in practice the issue is moot.

That's a nice, clean summary. /Larry

  _____

I would rephrase to something like (assuming I'm correct):

Public Domain software, when the source code is available, meets all of the
OSD requirements but it isn't under a OSI approved Open Source license since
there is no license.   However, public domain software can be re-used under
an OSD compliant license, so in practice the issue is moot.

Re: Public domain software is not open-source?