Subject: Re: Change ot topic, back to OVPL
From: Carmen Leeming <cleeming@uvic.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:15:14 -0700

Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

> The arguments and delays laid down in the path of the OVPL here on
> license discuss
> are unprecedented.  The official response to this is "No, we aren't
> discouraging you."

The delays are not unprecedented.  The Adaptive Public License took 20
months to obtain approval (May 2003 - Jan 2005).  We were informed that
it "fell through the cracks" (more than once).

Trying to contribute to the open source community should not be this
difficult.  If the OVPL meets the requirements of the OSD, it should be
approved.  If you are no longer open to receiving new licenses for
approval, you should remove the approval process page from your site.
At the very least you should add a notice on the license approval page
indicating that this new proliferation issue is causing large delays and
that meeting the requirements of the OSD is not a guarantee of a license
being approved.  It is only fair to warn those who spend large amounts
of time and money developing these new licenses that their contributions
are not really welcome.

--Carmen