Subject: Re: Policy for attribution
From: Matthew Seth Flaschen <superm40@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:24:51 -0400

Russ Nelson wrote:
> I think we need to develop a policy for attribution, e.g. "Based on
> TrueCrypt, freely available at http://www.truecrypt.org/".  This is
> just one example of many.  I don't see community consensus surrounding
> attribution.  Please discuss.

This is essentially the "The BSD License Problem"
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html), but worse because some
licenses are requiring attribution within the problem.  The best choice
would be to state simply that no attribution requirements besides
complete reproduction of the copyright statement and license(s) are
acceptable.  Obviously, this conflicts with certain existing licenses,
including the "EU DataGrid Software License", "Entessa Public License
Version. 1.0", and many others.

Matthew Flascheb