Subject: Re: Introducing Open Solutions Alliance
From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:09:25 -0500
Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:09:25 -0500
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> The topic of not-OSI-approved-licenses hasn't yet come up in
> conversations I've been a part of, but I've only been a part of a few.
> I would expect it to be a major topic after it's launched, though, as it
> directly relates to both purposes for the organization.  I've been very
> vocal in other settings (including here on this list) that one shouldn't
> even use little-o little-s "open source" to describe your software or
> initiative unless you're talking about an OSI-approved license - let
> alone Big-O Big-S "Open Source".  I don't see this outfit as being a
> trademark as enforcement organization the way that OSI should be, but
> nor do I see it condoning the kinds of behavior that have been mentioned
> on this list.

It seems that it's going to be mostly a technically oriented
organization.  However, I'm concerned about the side effect of
companies grouping together as open source when some in fact are not.
It seems that CollabNet uses an old-style BSD, so I don't mean to lump
it in that way.

Matthew Flaschen

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]