Subject: Re: Scope of copyright on derivative works
From: "Chris Travers" <chris.travers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:55:59 -0700
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:55:59 -0700
On 9/28/07, Wilson, Andrew <andrew.wilson@intel.com> wrote:

> The point you are (repeatedly!) missing is that you have permission
> from the original licensor under BSDL to modify not only the covered
> code, but
> to modify the license grant itself, as long as
> said modified license grant includes at a
> minimum the original BSDL notice and disclaimer.

THat does *not* conflict with the idea that copyright-worthy changes can
carry other restrictions.

My viewpoint is that you cannot change the license grant to excerpts you
merely use with permission and of which you are not the copyright owner.
This does not prevent you from enforcing other terms on your work as a
whole, just that your right to control redistribution is limited to your own
copyrights.

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers

Andy Wilson