Subject: Re: GPLv3 Appropriate Legal Notices and Restrictive Trademark Grants
From: Russ Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:54:05 -0400

Daniel Chalef writes:
 > It is my understanding that restricting the use of the trademarks (for
 > commercial use, "destroying brand value" etc), in turn creates additional
 > restrictions on the use of the software and source code, which would be in
 > violation of the GPLv3.
 >
 > Am I correct or somewhat misguided? :-)

Misguided.  It's reasonable (and both the GPLv2 and GPLv3 require it)
to expect people to be told that they are running a modified version
of your software.  Not granting a trademark license, or granting it
only under certain conditions, is just another way of making sure that
people comply with the GPL.

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | Software that needs
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | documentation is software