Subject: Re: Open Source Decision Models
From: verdy_p <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:49:45 +0100 (CET)

"Chris Travers"
> I would suggest "code" as "whatever is subject to copyright controls"
> from the GPL's perspective.
>
> Data and equations themselves may not be protected, so you are left
> with licensing your creative arrangements of these things.
> Sounds like code to me....

What a stupid answer.

All of the creation is protected and covered by the licence (including the GPL), including
data and equations, as
far as copyright laws can cover them. The GPL obligations apply to all of them, even
if it ALSO (but not only)
defines code for explaining that it should also be available as humane-readable source
(in a way that allows a
humane to modify it and reacreate a derivative work).

For a spreadsheet, this means that formulas must be accessible in source-mode and the
data that uses it must be
accessible and modifiable, even if the spreadsheet exists also in a securely protected
version. Remember that GPL's
copyleft is a contractual extension of the legal copyright, the later is still directly
rerefenced explicitly by the
licence text. This extension is an additional grant of rights (that otherwise would
be completely subsject to prior
authorauthorizations) in exchange of additional obligations (which do not contradict
the copyright laws).

The GPL is a true licence, and there has been much enough legal decisions in courts
(at least in America and in
europe) to confirm it. The author's rights are explicitly protected and they keep their
freedom of providing other
licences if needed, and the freedom of stopping delivering new copies of their product.
In addition, the authorship
is legally transmissible, like any other property, if the author ceases to exist (but
their moral rights can't be
seized, in countries where these rights are legally created, and recognized including
by WIPO members, and the GPL
does not restrict these moral rights).

There's no need to create then distinctions between data, formulas or presentation/design
parts of a spreadsheet. If
the spreadsheet is licenced, this licence covers it completely under copyright laws,
even if there's adiitonal
grants or obligations concessed by the author for specific parts in the specific text
of the licence or in a non-
contradicting addendum or private contract.