Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:25:32 -0700
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:25:32 -0700
Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Chris Fagan wrote:
>
>> A design goal of the MS-PL is to allow developers to choose to ensure
>> that the specific rights in Section (2) continue to be available to
>> downstream developers and users through generations of adoption and
>> adaptation.
>>

> The phrase "the specific rights [...] continue to be available to [...]
> users through  generations of adoption and adaptation" reminds me of
> "anyone who redistributes the software, with or without changes, must
> pass along the freedom to further copy and change it."

Ths winds us back around to the question of "if I include your BSDL code
in my GPL application, does that code, provided it is unaltered stop
being under the BSDL?"

All of us non-lawyers never seem to be able to agree on this.  So far,
the lawyers I have heard seem to think that the answer is no, but this
is secondhand, and I may have misunderstood...

This isn't a matter of interpreting this license.  It is a lot of us
trying to understand what the license means in the greater context of
copyright law.  I am afraid we probably need lawyers to answer these
questions.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

["text/x-vcard" not shown]