Subject: Re: Towards an OSI-approved "waive all rights" software license
From:Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:37:38 +0200

 Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:37:38 +0200
Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:
> I think the simplest possible "waive all rights" license already exists,
> in the the New (Simplified 2-Clause) BSD License [1]:
>
>   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license
>
> It doesn't actually require attribution; it does require that the
> license text itself be reproduced with the sources, as you point out.

Not just the license text, and not just the source:

  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
  this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
  documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

The ISC license is equivalent, but significantly shorter.

> For "waive all rights", CC0 is the best thing I can think of.

Or the zlib / libpng license, which, unlike CC0, is actually a software
license.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no