Subject: Re: ATT SOURCE CODE AGREEMENT Version 1.2C
From: Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 Sep 1999 bruce@perens.com wrote:
> Yes. My point was that such a license clause was not practical because of the
> effect on the distributor. Did I convey that adequately?

How so?  The distributor puts it in stores and warns people that they can only
use it if they agree to the terms.  If they don't, the distributor has
violated the agreement and that particular copy is pirated and can't be used.

The only way I can see that this affects the distributor more than GPL is that
it exposes him to extra liability (for distributing pirated copies), but the
original author could easily agree not to prosecute such cases.  (Perhaps he
can say that he won't prosecute good-faith attempts to get purchasers to agree,
and define this situation as good faith.)  Then the only effect of the copies
being pirated would be that people cannot use them.