Subject: Re: shared source and open source
From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:59:58 -0500
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:59:58 -0500
I think sz's program would be a derivative work of the library.  The
license specifically states that "You may not use or distribute this
Software or any derivative works in any form  for commercial purposes."
     So I don't thing sz would have the right to distribute his app
under any open source license (which allow commercial redistribution).
He would have to write that limit into the BSD (for instance) license.
That would mean he wasn't really using the BSD, and thus wasn't using an
OSI-certified license.  Again, IANAL and TINLA.

Matthew Flaschen

Michael Bernstein wrote:
> IANAL, and TINLA, but I think you could still combine it with a BSD
> license, or possibly some other permissive license. It's just that the
> combination, even if legal per-se, wouldn't be OSD-compliant anymore.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]