Subject: RE: Public domain software is not open-source?
From: "Tzeng, Nigel H." <Nigel.Tzeng@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:43:14 -0500
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:43:14 -0500
>Q.  Is Public Domain software also "Open Source"?

>Not really, since it is not under an OSD-approved license.  However,
>truly public domain software can always be made available under an OSD
>compliant license, so in practice the issue is moot.

I would rephrase to something like (assuming I'm correct):

Public Domain software, when the source code is available, meets all of the OSD requirements
but it isn't under a OSI approved Open Source license since there is no license.   However,
public domain software can be re-used under an OSD compliant license, so in practice
the issue is moot.

Re: Public domain software is not open-source?