Subject: Merging two projects and their licenses
From: Johan Tibell <johan.tibell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 04:54:58 -0700

Hi,

In the Haskell community, we are looking to merge two libraries. One
has a 3-clause BSD license and one has a 2-clause BSD license.

http://github.com/haskell/network/blob/master/LICENSE
http://github.com/tibbe/network-bytestring/blob/master/LICENSE

I'm sure this has been done before. How have other projects dealt with
such issues? (I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or the mailing list
archives.)

Some specific questions:
- Can the licenses be merged into one license or should the new
license be a simple textual concatenation of both licenses?
- The former library calls its license "The Glasgow Haskell Compiler
License" even though it's exactly the BSD license. If the licenses are
merged into on, are we required to keep the licenses name in combined
licenses?

P.S. If it matters, I'm the maintainer of the first library and author
of the second. Both libraries have seen contributions from other
people.

Thanks!

Johan