Subject: RE: AFL termination for patent action mutuality
From: "Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:52:23 -0700

 Tue, 28 Sep 2004 18:52:23 -0700
Marcus Sundman asked:
> Why did you remove the mutuality from the "termination for patent action"
> clause in the AFL? I've searched the web for hours but I can't find any
> discussion about it.

Because big companies that own patents refused to accept software under such
a license. Open source contributors who used that license would only be
harming the prospects for acceptance of their software.

Two later versions of the patent termination provision in the OSL/AFL are
discussed at length in Chapter 9 of my book. [See "Open Source Licensing:
Software Freedom and Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004),
available from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and other places.] Section 10 of
OSL/AFL version 2.1 is now acceptable to patent holding companies because
they can define the scope of the risk to their patent portfolios when
in-licensing software under these licenses.

Regards,

/Larry Rosen

cc: license-discuss@opensource.org

Lawrence Rosen