Subject: Re: Change ot topic, back to OVPL
From: David Barrett <dbarrett@quinthar.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:45:45 -0700

Wilson, Andrew wrote:
> Brian, the mandatory license back in OVPL ("all your base are belong
> to us") is section 3.3.  Under 3.3,
> the ID can actually write a letter demanding that you cough up all
> Modifications you've made to the base code.
> You might want to take a look:
> http://openvendor.org/Licenses/Open_Vendor_Public_License

Alex, is this true?  It was my impression that developers could create
and use *undistributed* private derivatives (and no-one, including the
initial developer, can demand them), but once they're "distributed" in
some form than anyone can demand them equally.

And futhermore, my impression was that 3.3 means the ID can create
private/proprietary/closed/etc derivatives of any *distributed*
modification -- thus again, the developers right to make and use private
modifications without anyone's knowledge or disclosure remains.

Am I misunderstanding this?  Or is Andrew accurately reflecting the
spirit *and* the letter of the OVPL?

-david