Subject: Re: License Proliferation
From: Ian Lance Taylor <>
Date: 05 Sep 2005 15:57:55 -0700

Russell Nelson <> writes:

> If businesses notice that it's expensive to review a brazilian
> licenses, and individuals don't notice a problem, then something is
> wrong that needs fixing.  Either the businesses don't need to review
> all those licenses, or individuals ought to be reviewing them.  So
> yes, what is good for one is necessarily good for the other.

My sense is that since some businesses are seeing a problem reviewing
licenses, whereas I as an individual don't see a problem, that there
must be different interests at work.  One possible difference is that
I as an individual generally only case about using the software, not
about distributing it.  Another is that when I feel any doubt, I
simply avoid using the software which is under an unusual licenses;
for me there are always alternatives, but that may not be true for