Subject: RE: OVPL summary
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:56:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Mark Radcliffe wrote:
>> I agree that such differences in rights is not discrimination
>> under the OSD. Many of the existing licenses are not
>> perfectly recipricol.
>
> As Mark correctly says, many OSI-approved licenses, including the venerable
> MPL and CPL licenses, are not perfectly reciprocal. They grant (or reserve)
> some rights to an initial developer that other licensees don't have.

I'll note the Apache license does as well - no one has rights to use the
Apache trademark in their derivative works.  While that is leagues
different than "all your derivative works are belong to us", it's still a
right reserved for the ID and disproportionate (your patch to our code
helps make Apache better and builds the brand name you don't have rights
to).

 	Brian