Subject: Re: OVPL summary
From: Alex Bligh <alex@alex.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:42:27 +0100

--On 14 September 2005 13:23 -0700 Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:

>     You should also have the freedom to make modifications and use
>     them privately in your own work or play, without even mentioning
>     that they exist.  If you do publish your changes, you should not
>     be required to notify anyone in particular, or in any particular
>     way.
>
> The OVPL arguably violates that freedom, although I don't see that it
> violates the OSD.

It doesn't violate it for the same reason the GPL doesn't violate it
(argument about external deployment aside). If you use them *privately*
you don't distribute, so there are no additional obligations. If you
*publish* your changes, you do not have to notify anyone, respond to the
ID, or anything else. The only additional obligation in this respect is
if you use the changes neither privately, nor publicly (i.e. selectively
distribute them).

Alex