Subject: RE: For Approval: MindTree Public License
From: "Wilson, Andrew" <andrew.wilson@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:47:24 -0700

 Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:47:24 -0700

McCoy Smith wrote:

> Is there any OSI-approved license with mandatory grant-back provisions
> of the scope set forth in paragraphs 3 & 4?

Not unless/until OVPL is approved.  Fair to say that there has
been a *great* deal of discussion on the mandatory grant-back
proposed in OVPL, which is still not as broad in scope
as the grant-back proposed in MTPL, since in OVPL it is
conditioned on the Initial Developer maintaining an open
source variant of the covered code.

Let me also re-raise my objection to the uncapped indemnification
provision of MTPL.  There are no current OSI-approved licenses with
such provisions.

Overall, MTPL somewhat resembles the Sun Community Source License
(SCSL).  Sun does not claim that SCSL is an open source license
(nor should they).

Andy Wilson
Intel Open Source Technology Center