Subject: Re: Help Request for Academic Research
From: Brendan Scott <lists@opensourcelaw.biz>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:32:52 +1100

Jon Oakes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Jon Oakes and I am conducting research on how business managers should
formulate strategies around F/OSS. I am currently in my second year at Harvard Business
School and the project is overseen by the Strategy department.

> My goal is to generate a very pragmatic guide for non-technical managers to use in
their assessment of the risk/reward of using and contributing to the F/OSS community.
I hope to develop the research into a paper that can be published sometime next year
or possibly into a case study.

> I am hoping to find a few "experts" that I can interview for 15 to 30 minutes (more
if you can spare it!) to get some perspective and ask some technical questions. I am
looking for legal, technical and strategic perspectives.

> Please respond to my Yahoo! mail address or to my school email which is joakes@mba2006.hbs.edu.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Jon

I have a paper which advocates the release of software under open source in certain
circumstances, and goes over some of the reasons.  Might be of use:

http://opensourcelaw.biz/publications/papers/BScottSwareAccessRegime031001.pdf

Regards

Brendan