Subject: Re: Questions to OSI Board quorum
From: jack fredricks <jzfredricks@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:17:29 +1000

 Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:17:29 +1000
I hope you don't mind me butting in like this, but I just thought I'd
share my thoughts on opt-out vs opt-in.

I'm fairly sure the general opinion is that opt-in clauses are much
preferable to the *user* than opt-outs. You know that this must be
true when every known marketing manager would prefer opt-out to
opt-in.

People see opt-out and assume the worst - "it must be a trap of some
sort" kind of thing. To be honest, that's what I thought about your
proposal when I read your suggestion about opt-out.

The extra paperwork associated with opt-in is a small cost, imho.

Your proposal would "feel friendlier" and more protective of the user
if you tried to adopt an opt-in position. I doubt that it would help
sway any board decisions in your favour, however.

nb: please keep in mind that I've only been part of this mailing list
for a week. I mean no offence by what I say, or to tread on anyone's
toes - I'm just sharing my thoughts. I also know very little about the
proposed OVPL.