Subject: Re: GPL v3
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:27:13 -0800

Quoting Andy Tai (

> What's amusing is that the Debian guidelines actually were designed
> explicitly with the GPL in mind, and now you are saying even the GPL
> v2 violates the Guidelines.  Suppose that is true, and since the GPL
> came first, then it is the Guidelines that failed its purpose rather
> than the GPL fails to follow the Guidelines.

I believe that was the earlier poster's intended point.

The Tentacles of Evil Test, Dissident Test, and Desert Island Test are
heuristics employed by some debian-legal denizens primarily as, IMVAO,
a plausible-sounding way to dispense with any residual sense of
proportion and context.  I've seen them used to bolster far-fetched
objections against, e.g., the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike
2.0 licence.  These things then get written up on "summary" Web pages,
with the implication that they somehow speak for Debian.

Rick Moen                 "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor."                                   -- Elizabeth Tudor