Subject: Re: SOS license
From: bruce@perens.com (Bruce Perens)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:49:28 -0800 (PST)

From: Alex Nicolaou <anicolao@cgl.uwaterloo.ca>
> What you seem to be suggesting is that the GPL doesn't restrict what I
> can do in the privacy of my own system; however, as I read the GPL it
> does. In order to modify the code, even for personal use, I must accept
> the license.

The GPL doesn't restrict use at all. I think you could make a case that
modification not followed by distribution is a GPL violation but 1. there
are fair-use issues 2. you couldn't get evidence to prosecute against it
anyway, and 3. since the GPL doesn't restrict use you could go on using
the software even if you'd broken the license by modifying it.

	Thanks

	Bruce