Subject: Re: shared source and open source
From: Michael Bernstein <webmaven@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 13:17:45 -0800

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 11:46 -0800, Mr SZ wrote:

> Can someone please guide me as to how to select an osi compatible
> license that will allow me to use this library without any legal
> troubles.

Are you sure you want to do that?

The AGSS license seems non-OSD compliant on it's face,  so even if you
use an OSI-approved license that can be used in combination with this
library, the resulting application will not be open-source.

Wouldn't it be better to select a different library with an OSD
compatible license?

There is a list of available XMPP libraries here:
http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml

One of them (Jabber-Net) is even written in C# and licensed GPL:
        http://jabberstudio.org/projects/jabber-net/project/view.php

And a little more digging reveals this library licensed LGPL:
        http://jabberstudio.org/projects/njabber/project/view.php

HTH,

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com