Subject: Re: For Approval: Open Source Hardware License
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:43:36 -0700

Quoting Simon Phipps (Simon.Phipps@Sun.COM):

> I'm afraid the distinction between "software" and "hardware" is
> getting harder and harder to make.

You know, there are circumstances in which I'd raise that point, too.
However, I'd feel a bit silly raising it in circumstances where
something is described very unambiguously aas a licence specifically for
hardware _and used_ (or at least planned to be used) only for that
purpose, to a groups that certifies licences specifically for software.

(I do doubt that OSI would refuse to certify a licence actually _used_
for software, on no better grounds than it having the word "hardware" in
it.)

Nonetheless, your ability to discern shades of grey is admirable. ;->

--
Cheers,                English is essentially a text parser's way of getting
Rick Moen              faster processors built.