Subject: Re: LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 = problems?
From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:11:07 -0400

Smith, McCoy wrote:
> FSF put out a matrix relating to the compatability of various FSF
> licenses:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility
>
> The answer on LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 is a bit complex, and requires a
> footnote.

The footnote umder "I want to copy code under LGPLv2.1 and I want to
release a project under GPLv3 or later" says:

"Every version of the LGPL gives you permission to relicense the code
under the corresponding version, or any later version, of the GPL."

The "or any later version" in the footnote refers to the LGPLv2.1 clause
that says:

"(If a newer version than version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public
License has appeared, then you can specify that version instead if you
wish.)"

But I don't see an equivalent "or any later" clause in LGPLv3.

Matthew Flaschen