Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:57:57 -0700
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:57:57 -0700
Chris Fagan wrote:
>  A design goal of the MS-PL is to allow developers to choose to ensure that the specific
rights in Section (2) continue to be available to downstream developers and users through
generations of adoption and adaptation.

I guess the questions people are asking include:

Does Microsoft see any problems including MS-PL code in applications
licensed under other arbitrary licenses provided that the license offers
a subset of  MS-PL rights?  I.e. if the software is distributed in
source form can sections of code other than those under the MS-PL code
have any other arbitrary restrictions?  Can a work as a whole include
restrictions absent from the MS-PL license.  Is this a design goal?

I am phrasing this in a way to leave out the requirement of analyzing
other licenses (such as the GPL v3).  This way you can leave it up to
the attourneys whether or not such conflicts exist with specific
licenses :-).

Best WIshes,
Chris Travers

["text/x-vcard" not shown]