Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:37:54 -0400

Donovan Hawkins scripsit:

> I wasn't referring to whether the BSDL is considered "free", but rather
> the fact that the GPL is. GPL does not grant you the freedom to closed
> source a derivative work, for example. Thus it is less free (in the
> conventional sense) than BSDL, which grants every reasonable freedom one
> could grant for gratis software.

That is, it grants *software developers* every reasonable freedom.
Their customers, however, may or may or not be granted any freedom.
Since there are more customers than developers, the GPL may well
grant more freedoms in aggregate.

--
One Word to write them all,             John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
  One Access to find them,              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan