Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:10:10 -0700

Quoting David Woolley (forums@david-woolley.me.uk):

> >Please note that I said host "catb.org", not "www.catb.org".
> >
> bash-3.2$ nslookup catb.org

If I might make a general suggestion:  nslookup often gives misleading
results because of some serious design misfeatures.  ISC has therefore
strongly recommended, for some years, that people transition to the
"dig" tool, instead.  I resisted that for a long time, being rather
accustomed to nslookup, but eventually switched over -- and they're
right.

In particular, "dig hostname @nameserver +short" syntax (along with
"dig -t ns domainname +short" to locate the authoritative nameservers,
first) gets to the bottom of many DNS nameservice issues quickly, and
helps distinguish between problems with the authoritative servers and
those with your local recursive-resolver ones.