Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:10:40 -0700

Quoting David Woolley (forums@david-woolley.me.uk):
> Rick Moen wrote:
>
>>This is an ideological construing of the term 'damage' that would carry
>>zero weight in tort law.
>
> In that case, how would you draft a licence/contract that did provide
> valid protection of the ideological goals, or what would you suggest
> that open source developers should tell their government representatives
> to demand in new legislation to make this possible?

That's a very broad question, although I suppose it is a significant one.

Open source developers should of course try to ensure that the leaders
of projects are reasonably trustworthy.  The licence/contract should
make clear what the licensor is trying to achieve.  Beyond those things,
I'm not sure offhand what to recommend.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers