Subject: RE: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: "Wilson, Andrew" <andrew.wilson@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:06:34 -0700

 Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:06:34 -0700

Chris Travers wrote:

> Not quite duplicative.  The major issue is that some countries may not
have legal
> definitions of derivative works,  The MS-PL is tied to US legal
definitions in ways
> which other permissive licenses are not.  This may be good for clarity
so you don't have 218 mini-licenses depending on
> legal definitions of each possible jurisdiction.

"US legal definitions" being differently construed in different
jurisdictions, I do not see this by itself as a particularly noteworthy
advance
in licensing.

> Also it is not as far-fetched as you think.
> First, we all know what Theo de Raadt thinks of the sublicensing
question ;-).

If you are trying to convince people that your reading of BSD is
not extreme, citing Theo is perhaps not the best place to begin.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center