Subject: Welcome to the *new* License Discuss
From: Ernest Prabhakar <ernest.prabhakar@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:03:12 -0800

Dear members of License Discuss,

Today marks a major transition in how the OSI handles its mailing
lists, as was recently announced on our blog:

http://opensource.org/reorg-2007-12

Perhaps the most dramatic news is the shift in focus for this mailing
list. In particular, the license approval process has been
dramatically revised:

and shifted to the new, more-tightly-focused license-review mailing
list, which we hope many of you will subscribe to.

Email: license-review-subscribe@opensource.org

General OSI discussion also has a new home on the "issues" mailing list:

Email: issues-subscribe@opensource.org

We trust that will provide a more appropriate and effective forum for
discussing how to improve the OSI, as it will be moderated by our
President, Michael Tiemann.

Where does that leave this list? We believe it is important for the
community to have a place to find and debate answers to common
licensing questions, and that seems a natural fit for the constituency
of this list. However, it is essential we keep those discussions
focused and productive. Therefore, we have redefined the purpose of
license-discuss as driving content for the new (albeit rudimentary)
Open Source Licensing FAQ:

https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/help/license

The FAQ is intended to reflect the "best community understanding" of
common Open Source issues -- as defined by you, with help from the
newly-constituted "editors" list:

https://osi.osuosl.org/wiki/editor

We thank all of you for your faithful participation on this list over
the years, and hope that this new structure will make it a more
rewarding experience for everyone.  If the new charter no longer makes
sense for you, though, you can unsubscribe via: