Subject: Re: DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:34:55 -0800

Quoting John Cowan (

> A version I prefer to yours as less chauvinist:
> Two kids were arguing over a piece of cake.  One wanted to divide
> it equally, the other insisted on having the whole thing for himself.
> An adult came along and said, "Why don't you compromise?  *You* get
> one-quarter, and *you* get three-quarters."

Nice.  However, as a Yank raised abroad, I think I can fairly say that
it is indeed a distinctively American foible.  (No offence intended to
any, e.g., Canadians who wish to confess to also being purblind.  ;->  )

Cheers,                                      "Reality is not optional."
Rick Moen                                             -- Thomas Sowell