Subject: Re: DRAFT FAQ: Free vs. Open
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:56:26 -0800

Quoting David Dillard (david_dillard@symantec.com):
> John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:
> > David Dillard scripsit:
> >
> > > Thus, *if* the OSI believes that open source is ethical and closed
> > > source is unethical then it should not approve licenses which allow
> > > open source to be used in closed source applications.
> >
> > Non sequitur.
>
> That's your opinion and you're welcome to it.  I disagree.

Logic is not subject to voting.  John is correct that your conclusion
does not follow from its premises.

Further, the explicit purpose of OSI's licence certification programme
is to spell out the essential qualities of open source software.  It is
not to prevent approval or use of licences that permit proprietary
forks.