Subject: Re: Public domain software is not open-source?
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 02:23:35 -0800

Quoting Matthew Flaschen (

> Again, it's a question for someone considering reuse.  OSI has never
> been in the business of officially validating license statuses.  They
> won't tell you (officially) that program Foo is under license Bar.  Of
> course, I agree that verifying this information is critical for reusers.

Given doubt over whether purporting to abolish by fiat the unexpired
copyright title of a creative work _even_ has a reliable and consistent
result across legal jurisdictions -- let alone having the result
intended -- I'd personally rather OSI not even go there, and instead
await the outcome of test cases (if any) initiated by the foolhardy.