Subject: Implicit Patent Grants
From: "Tzeng, Nigel H." <Nigel.Tzeng@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:46:42 -0400
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:46:42 -0400
Is there a good place to read about implicit patent grants for a layperson?  And THEN
how it might apply to open source licenses?  I did a google but I got a lot of hits
regarding GPL2 and that it relies on an implicit grant and some discussions about how
license X has one but not a good primer on the core issues and what beyond "use" and
"sell" terms might imply an implied grant.

Yes, I tried -GPL in the search but then got almost no relevant hits. :)  I assume any
discussion includes talking about GPL at some point.

I want to know enough to ask more intelligent questions...typically online sources is
good enough for this and I consider myself at least a brown belt in google-fu. :)

Re: GPL, COPYING file