Subject: Re: using Visual Basic in open source projects
From: Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 02:57:59 -0400

Tzeng, Nigel H. wrote:

>  >The paragraph is not misleading.  You are misinterpreting it.  It is not
>  >saying you /can't/ license a VB6 program under the GPL (note that it
>  >says "If you do this", which means you can do it).  It's saying if you
>  >do so, your program can't be used in a free software only environment.
>
> No, I understand what it means.  However, I believe it is misleading
> to answer the question with that paragraph because of the implication
> that "it cannot be part of a free operating system such as GNU" can be
> misunderstood.
>
> Which only partly true anyway.

It is completely true.  Microsoft VB6 can not be part of a free software
environment.

   While the kernel dev's have signed a
> statement to condemn closed source drivers, binary-only modules still
> work in Linux.  Linus nixed the nuclear option on binary drivers a couple
> years ago.

Binary drivers can't be part of a free environment either.  Your point
being?

> It is especially misleading since he's running on Windows anyway
> with the intent on using the .NET framework.

That doesn't make the paragraph misleading.  At most, it means a free
environment is impossible in this context.

Matt Flaschen