Subject: Re: [FTF-Legal] FW: [Ossi] DISA to open source administrative software
From: Alon von Bismark <alvbi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

 Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:48:02 -0700 (PDT)

Bar general discussion list'" <discuss-general@open-bar.org>
> Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 3:08 PM
> Dear Larry,
>
> Well,
>
> it seems a Good Thing (TM) that:
>
> a) they have released it under free and open source
> software conditions;
> b) they have chosen licenses already available instead of
> inventing a
> new one (EU should learn from this).
>
> I am not entirely sure I understand the double licensing
> decision, but
> being them both free and open sourceá software
> licenses, I think I am fine.
>
> I cannot comment very much in front of you about the actual
> choice of
> the licence(s) because we already know we have different
> opinions about
> what are to be preferred, ša va sans dire... What could
> disturb me is
> that both licenses are GPL-incompatible, as per the FSF's
> assessment --
> not sure I agree --, but this is not something you have not
> heard
> before, I guess, and perhaps you don't agree with it.
>
> Why not a... triple licensing? ;-)

"OSSI decided not to use any version of the GPL for the CMIS software because of the
limitations that the GPL places upon linking. Some companies avoid GPL software because,
when they link to it from their own proprietary software, they are expected to disclose
their source code. "

http://www.oss-institute.org/index.php?option=com content&task=view&id=316&Itemid=47

--
"All requests pertaining to the planned publication of materials from Einstein's writings
should be sent to the Albert Einstein Archives.

  -- http://www.albert-einstein.org/archives13.html