Subject: Re: Clean room reverse engineering]
From: Vlad Stanimir <vladbv2006@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:58:53 +0200
Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:58:53 +0200

From: Vlad Stanimir <vladbv2006@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:54:20 +0200

Johannes Buchner wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:10:09 +0100
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@des.no> wrote:

Vlad Stanimir <vladbv2006@gmail.com> writes:

I was considering a clean room reverse engineering project of a
proprietary computer game, but i am unsure of the legality of doing
this especially of things like game maps and storyline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

This page doesn't talk about software. Isn't copyright and trademarks
the real issues of game clones?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clone_%28computing%29 has the paragraph:
   "Software can be cloned by reverse engineering or legal
reimplementation from documentation or other sources, or by observing a
program's appearance and behavior. The reasons for cloning may include
circumventing undesirable licensing fees or acquiring knowledge about
the features of the system. In the United States, the case of Lotus v.
Borland allows programmers to clone the public functionality of a
program without infringing its copyright."

If you intend to just reuse the idea, without , that may be legal in some countries. IANAL.

Maybe this is more informative:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26290&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

So my question still stands does the quest chain/storyline, game maps constitute public functionality you mentioned or do they constitute using original material? Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:54:20 +0200