Subject: Re: ICC profiles and open licensing
From: Chuck Swiger <chuck@codefab.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:25:26 -0700

 Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:25:26 -0700
Hi--

On Jul 9, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Would following license satisfy the OSI definition in order to accept ICC profile
bundles for any open source OS distribution (?):

> "This profile is made available by [profile provider], with permission of
> [profile vendor], and may be used, embedded, exchanged, and shared without
> restriction. Altered versions of this profile shall have the original
> identification and copyright information removed and shall not be
> misrepresented as the original profile."
>
> Note the last sentence was altered to satisfy http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
> 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

It's perfectly fine to require that modified versions be clearly identified as such
and not mis-represented as the unchanged original work.

I would be concerned about the requirement to remove the original copyright information
entirely, however-- that's not something people normally should do with copyrighted
works, although if someone has been granted permission to do so by the copyright holder,
I gather that would be OK...?

Regards,
--
-Chuck