Subject: Re: Aggregate of GPL and CPAL?
From: Chuck Swiger <chuck@codefab.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:24:01 -0800

 Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:24:01 -0800
On Mar 9, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Victor Mataré wrote:
>> Are you the sole author/copyright holder of the GPLv3 software?  If so, then you
can (and would need to) grant an exception to the GPL terms to be miscible with the
CPAL software.

> OK, so I guess I'll go talk to the GNU folks to see what they think about it. At http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
they seem to also condition the aggregate vs. modified-version distinction on the nature
of the information that's being exchanged.

While I won't try to speak for the FSF, their site provides the following advice for
a GPL disclaimer for these situations:

" As a special exception, you have permission to link this program
  with the FOO library and distribute executables, as long as you
  follow the requirements of the GNU GPL in regard to all of the
  software in the executable aside from FOO.

You can do this, legally, if you are the copyright holder for the program.  Add it in
the source files, after the notice that says the program is covered by the GNU GPL."

> I might also consider CC-BY-SA 3.0 instead of GPL for my product, but it's not even
mentioned on opensource.org. What about that?

The CC licensed are not OSI approved, and are not intended for software:

   http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FFAQ#Can I license software using CC licenses.3F

Regards,
--
-Chuck