Subject: Re: commercial distribution
From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:25:04 -0400
Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:25:04 -0400
Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com> writes:
>Thank you, it is massively better.
>
>But it would be nice if things like 8.2.a were indented from 8.2.  It
>also seems odd to me that 6.3.a and 6.3.b were broken out onto their
>own lines.

I was going for speed :-), since I've got a bunch of conference calls
today.  But I agree with you that the formatting could be better.

Here at OSI we're all about opportunities for volunteerism -- or we'd
like to be, at least -- , so I'm going to attach the HTML to this email,
and if you have to do the reformatting and post it here, I'll load the
new version back into the page!

No obligation nor pressure, of course; either way is fine.  I just don't
want to be the bottleneck, and it sounds like you have a clear idea of
how the page could be improved.

Best,
-Karl

Common Public Attribution License Version 1.0 (CPAL-1.0)

available to a third party.</p>

of Modifications. </p>

used by a Contributor, and the Modifications made by that particular Contributor. </p>

of the Original Code and Modifications, in each case including portions thereof. </p>

in the software development community for the electronic transfer of data. </p>

Developer in the Source Code notice required by Exhibit A. </p>

with code not governed by the terms of this License. </p>

whether at the time of the initial grant or subsequently acquired, any and all of the
rights conveyed herein. </p>

of either the Original Code or any previous Modifications. When Covered Code is released
as a series of files, a Modification is: </p>

or previous Modifications. </p>

in the Source Code notice required by Exhibit A as Original Code, and which, at the
time of its release under this License is not already Covered Code governed by this
License. </p>

including without limitation,  method, process, and apparatus claims, in any patent
Licensable by grantor. </p>

to it, including all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files,
scripts used to control compilation and installation of an Executable, or source code
differential comparisons against either the Original Code or another well known, available
Covered Code of the Contributor’s choice.  The Source Code can be in a compressed
or archival form, provided the appropriate decompression or de-archiving software is
widely available for no charge. </p>

under, and complying with all of the terms of, this License or a future version of this
License issued under Section 6.1.  For legal entities, “You” includes any entity
which controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with You. For purposes
of this definition, “control” means (a) the power, direct or indirect, to cause
the direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or (b)
ownership of more than fifty percent (50%) of the outstanding shares or beneficial ownership
of such entity.</p>

license, subject to third party intellectual property claims: </p>

by Initial Developer to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense and distribute
the Original Code (or portions thereof) with or without Modifications, and/or as part
of a Larger Work; and </p>

to make, have made, use, practice, sell, and offer for sale, and/or otherwise dispose
of the Original Code (or portions thereof). </p>

Initial Developer first distributes Original Code under the terms of this License. </p>

that You delete from the Original Code; 2) separate from the Original Code;  or 3) for
infringements caused by: i) the modification of the Original Code or ii) the combination
of the Original Code with other software or devices. </p>

You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license </p>

by Contributor, to use, reproduce, modify, display, perform, sublicense and distribute
the Modifications created by such Contributor (or portions thereof) either on an unmodified
basis, with other Modifications, as Covered Code and/or as part of a Larger Work; and

made by that Contributor either alone and/or in combination with its Contributor Version
(or portions of such combination), to make, use, sell, offer for sale, have made, and/or
otherwise dispose of:  1) Modifications made by that Contributor (or portions thereof);
and 2) the combination of  Modifications made by that Contributor with its Contributor
Version (or portions of such combination). </p>

Contributor first makes Commercial Use of the Covered Code. </p>

any code that Contributor has deleted from the Contributor Version; 2) separate from
the Contributor Version; 3) for infringements caused by:  i) third party modifications
of Contributor Version or ii) the combination of Modifications made by that Contributor
with other software (except as part of the Contributor Version) or other devices; or
4) under Patent Claims infringed by Covered Code in the absence of Modifications made
by that Contributor.</p>

terms of this License, including without limitation Section 2.2.  The Source Code version
of Covered Code may be distributed only under the terms of this License or a future
version of this License released under Section 6.1, and You must include a copy of this
License with every copy of the Source Code You distribute.  You may not offer or impose
any terms on any Source Code version that alters or restricts the applicable version
of this License or the recipients’ rights hereunder.  However, You may include an
additional document offering the additional rights described in Section 3.5. </p>

in Source Code form under the terms of this License either on the same media as an Executable
version or via an accepted Electronic Distribution Mechanism to anyone to whom you made
an Executable version available; and if made available via Electronic Distribution Mechanism,
must remain available for at least twelve (12) months after the date it initially became
available, or at least six (6) months after a subsequent version of that particular
Modification has been made available to such recipients.  You are responsible for ensuring
that the Source Code version remains available even if the Electronic Distribution Mechanism
is maintained by a third party. </p>

the changes You made to create that Covered Code and the date of any change.  You must
include a prominent statement that the Modification is derived, directly or indirectly,
from Original Code provided by the Initial Developer and including the name of the Initial
Developer in (a) the Source Code, and (b) in any notice in an Executable version or
related documentation in which You describe the origin or ownership of the Covered Code.

property rights is required to exercise the rights granted by such Contributor under
Sections 2.1 or 2.2, Contributor must include a text file with the Source Code distribution
titled “LEGAL” which describes the claim and the party making the claim in sufficient
detail that a recipient will know whom to contact.  If Contributor obtains such knowledge
after the Modification is made available as described in Section 3.2, Contributor shall
promptly modify the LEGAL file in all copies Contributor makes available thereafter
and shall take other steps (such as notifying appropriate mailing lists or newsgroups)
reasonably calculated to inform those who received the Covered Code that new knowledge
has been obtained. </p>

Contributor has knowledge of patent licenses which are reasonably necessary to implement
that API, Contributor must also include this information in the LEGAL file. </p>

Contributor believes that Contributor’s Modifications are Contributor’s original
creation(s) and/or Contributor has sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by
this License.</p>

is not possible to put such notice in a particular Source Code file due to its structure,
then You must include such notice in a location (such as a relevant directory) where
a user would be likely to look for such a notice.  If You created one or more Modification(s)
You may add your name as a Contributor to the notice described in Exhibit A.  You must
also duplicate this License in any documentation for the Source Code where You describe
recipients’ rights or ownership rights relating to Covered Code.  You may choose to
offer, and to charge a fee for, warranty, support, indemnity or liability obligations
to one or more recipients of Covered Code.  However, You may do so only on Your own
behalf, and not on behalf of the Initial Developer or any Contributor.  You must make
it absolutely clear than any such warranty, support, indemnity or liability obligation
is offered by You alone, and You hereby agree to indemnify the Initial Developer and
every Contributor for any liability incurred by the Initial Developer or such Contributor
as a result of warranty, support, indemnity or liability terms You offer. </p>

3.1-3.5 have been met for that Covered Code, and if You include a notice stating that
the Source Code version of the Covered Code is available under the terms of this License,
including a description of how and where You have fulfilled the obligations of Section
3.2.  The notice must be conspicuously included in any notice in an Executable version,
related documentation or collateral in which You describe recipients’ rights relating
to the Covered Code.  You may distribute the Executable version of Covered Code or ownership
rights under a license of Your choice, which may contain terms different from this License,
provided that You are in compliance with the terms of this License and that the license
for the Executable version does not attempt to limit or alter the recipient’s rights
in the Source Code version from the rights set forth in this License.  If You distribute
the Executable version under a different license  You must make it absolutely clear
that any terms which differ from this License are offered by You alone, not by the Initial
Developer, Original Developer or any Contributor.  You hereby agree to indemnify the
Initial Developer, Original Developer and every Contributor for any liability incurred
by the Initial Developer, Original Developer or such Contributor as a result of any
such terms You offer. </p>

by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In
such a case, You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for the
Covered Code.</p>

respect to some or all of the Covered Code due to statute, judicial order, or regulation
then You must:  (a) comply with the terms of this License to the maximum extent possible;
and (b) describe the limitations and the code they affect.  Such description must be
included in the LEGAL file described in Section 3.4 and must be included with all distributions
of the Source Code.  Except to the extent prohibited by statute or regulation, such
description must be sufficiently detailed for a recipient of ordinary skill to be able
to understand it.</p>

in Exhibit A and to related Covered Code.</p>

License from time to time. Each version will be given a distinguishing version number.</p>

may always continue to use it under the terms of that version.  You may also choose
to use such Covered Code under the terms of any subsequent version of the License published
by Socialtext.  No one other than Socialtext has the right to modify the terms applicable
to Covered Code created under this License. </p>

order to apply it to code which is not already Covered Code governed by this License),
You must (a) rename Your license so that the phrases “Socialtext”, “CPAL” or
any confusingly similar phrase do not appear in your license (except to note that your
license differs from this License) and (b) otherwise make it clear that Your version
of the license contains terms which differ from the CPAL.  (Filling in the name of the
Initial Developer, Original Developer, Original Code or Contributor in the notice described
in Exhibit A shall not of themselves be deemed to be modifications of this License.)</p>

OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES
THAT THE COVERED CODE IS FREE OF DEFECTS, MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE COVERED
CODE IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY COVERED CODE PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE
INITIAL DEVELOPER, ORIGINAL DEVELOPER OR ANY OTHER CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY
NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN
ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY COVERED CODE IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT
UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER.</p>

You fail to comply with terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of
becoming aware of the breach.  All sublicenses to the Covered Code which are properly
granted shall survive any termination of this License.  Provisions which, by their nature,
must remain in effect beyond the termination of this License shall survive. </p>

declatory judgment actions) against Initial Developer, Original Developer or a Contributor
(the Initial Developer, Original Developer or Contributor against whom You file such
action is referred to as “Participant”) alleging that: </p>

patent, then any and all rights granted by such Participant to You under Sections 2.1
and/or 2.2 of this License shall, upon 60 days notice from Participant terminate prospectively,
unless if within 60 days after receipt of notice You either:  (i) agree in writing to
pay Participant a mutually agreeable reasonable royalty for Your past and future use
of Modifications made by such Participant, or (ii) withdraw Your litigation claim with
respect to the Contributor Version against such Participant.  If within 60 days of notice,
a reasonable royalty and payment arrangement are not mutually agreed upon in writing
by the parties or the litigation claim is not withdrawn, the rights granted by Participant
to You under Sections 2.1 and/or 2.2 automatically terminate at the expiration of the
60 day notice period specified above. </p>

Version, directly or indirectly infringes any patent, then any rights granted to You
by such Participant under Sections 2.1(b) and 2.2(b) are revoked effective as of the
date You first made, used, sold, distributed, or had made, Modifications made by that
Participant. </p>

Participant’s Contributor Version directly or indirectly infringes any patent where
such claim is resolved (such as by license or settlement) prior to the initiation of
patent infringement litigation, then the reasonable value of the licenses granted by
such Participant under Sections 2.1 or 2.2 shall be taken into account in determining
the amount or value of any payment or license. </p>

agreements (excluding distributors and resellers) which have been validly granted by
You or any distributor hereunder prior to termination shall survive termination.</p>

CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL YOU, THE INITIAL DEVELOPER, ORIGINAL DEVELOPER, ANY OTHER
CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF COVERED CODE, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES,
BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE,
COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES,
EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.  THIS
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING
FROM SUCH PARTY’S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION.
 SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.</p>

2.101 (Oct. 1995), consisting of “commercial computer software” and “commercial
computer software documentation,” as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212 (Sept.
1995). Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.7202-4
(June 1995), all U.S. Government End Users acquire Covered Code with only those rights
set forth herein.</p>

 If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall
be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.  This License shall
be governed by California law provisions (except to the extent applicable law, if any,
provides otherwise), excluding its conflict-of-law provisions.  With respect to disputes
in which at least one party is a citizen of, or an entity chartered or registered to
do business in the United States of America, any litigation relating to this License
shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts of the Northern District
of California, with venue lying in Santa Clara County, California, with the losing party
responsible for costs, including without limitation, court costs and reasonable attorneys’
fees and expenses.  The application of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for
the International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded.  Any law or regulation which
provides that the language of a contract shall be construed against the drafter shall
not apply to this License.</p>

is responsible for claims and damages arising, directly or indirectly, out of its utilization
of rights under this License and You agree to work with Initial Developer, Original
Developer and Contributors to distribute such responsibility on an equitable basis.
 Nothing herein is intended or shall be deemed to constitute any admission of liability.</p>

 Multiple-Licensed means that the Initial Developer permits you to utilize portions
of the Covered Code under Your choice of the CPAL or the alternative licenses, if any,
specified by the Initial Developer in the file described in Exhibit A.</p>

Code (“Original Developer”), in the hope that its promotional value may help justify
the time, money and effort invested in writing the Original Code, the Original Developer
may include in Exhibit B (“Attribution Information”) a requirement that each time
an Executable and Source Code or a Larger Work is launched or initially run (which includes
initiating a session), a prominent display of the Original Developer’s Attribution
Information (as defined below) must occur on the graphic user interface employed by
the end user to access such Covered Code (which may include display on a splash screen),
if any.  The size of the graphic image should be consistent with the size of the other
elements of the Attribution Information. If the access by the end user to the Executable
and Source Code does not create a graphic user interface for access to the Covered Code,
this obligation shall not apply.  If the Original Code displays such Attribution Information
in a particular form (such as in the form of a splash screen, notice at login, an “about”
display, or dedicated attribution area on user interface screens), continued use of
such form for that Attribution Information is one way of meeting this requirement for
notice.</p>

graphic image and a URL (“Attribution Information”) and is subject to the Attribution
Limits as defined below.  For these purposes, prominent shall mean display for sufficient
duration to give reasonable notice to the user of the identity of the Original Developer
and that if You include Attribution Information or similar information for other parties,
You must ensure that the Attribution Information for the Original Developer shall be
no less prominent than such Attribution Information or similar information for the other
party.  For greater certainty, the Original Developer may choose to specify in Exhibit
B below that the above attribution requirement only applies to an Executable and Source
Code resulting from the Original Code or any Modification, but not a Larger Work.  The
intent is to provide for reasonably modest attribution, therefore the Original Developer
cannot require that You display, at any time, more than the following information as
Attribution Information:  (a) a copyright notice including the name of the Original
Developer; (b) a word or one phrase (not exceeding 10 words); (c) one graphic image
provided by the Original Developer; and (d) a URL (collectively, the “Attribution
Limits”).</p>

requirements for You to display any Attribution Information of the Original Developer.</p>

within the Attribution Information distributed with the Covered Code are the exclusive
property of their owners and may only be used with the permission of their owners, or
under circumstances otherwise permitted by law or as expressly set out in this License.</p>

of the Original Code or Modifications in any way such that the Original Code or Modifications
may be used by anyone other than You, whether those works are distributed or communicated
to those persons or made available as an application intended for use over a network.
 As an express condition for the grants of license hereunder, You must treat any External
Deployment by You of the Original Code or Modifications as a distribution under section
3.1 and make Source Code available under Section 3.2.</p>

Version 1.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with
the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at              .  The License is
based on the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 but Sections 14 and 15 have been added
to cover use of software over a computer network and provide for limited attribution
for the Original Developer. In addition, Exhibit A has been modified to be consistent
with Exhibit B. </p>

WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language
governing rights and limitations under the License. </p>

the Original Developer is the Initial Developer. </p>

written by             are Copyright (c)      . All Rights Reserved. </p>

 license (the  [   ] License), in which case the provisions of [      ] License are
applicable  instead of those above. </p>

[    ] License and not to allow others to use your version of this file under the CPAL,
indicate your decision by deleting  the provisions above and replace  them with the
notice and other provisions required by the [   ] License.  If you do not delete the
provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under either the CPAL
or the [   ] License.”</p>

in the Source Code files of the Original Code.  You should use the text of this Exhibit
A rather than the text found in the Original Code Source Code for Your Modifications.]</p>

are defined in the CPAL as a work which combines Covered Code or portions thereof with
code not governed by the terms of the CPAL.</p>