Subject: Re: Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?
From: Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 21:32:22 +0000 (UTC)

Chad Perrin <perrin <at> apotheon.com> writes:

> The original is still public domain, though -- and a public domain notice
> can be attached to the newly modified work.  I don't really see how this

No, in some countries this is totally impossible, in many only
under special circumstances. That you cannot simply say “I dedicate
this work to the Public Domain” or something is actually one of
the things done to protect the artists.

(ISTR there are also (moral rights) laws where the artist can
take back any “forever” licences after 30 years. But I’d have
to look them up again to be specific. Point being, you can’t
simply attach a note to it and it magically comes true, same
as you can’t simply disclaim _all_ liability for something
you do.)