Subject: Re: Can OSI specify that public domain is open source?
From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 17:54:05 -0400
Wed, 07 Sep 2011 17:54:05 -0400
Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> writes:
>> So, the correct answer to 'Why doesn't OSI certify SQLite as open
>> source?' is 'OSI doesn't certify _any_ software as open source.'
>
>I think perhaps what Karl intended to convey is disappointment in the
>idea that the OSI doesn't certify the copyright status of SQLite as
>compliant with the maning of "open source".

Well, I definitely buy Rick's point that we don't certify software, we
only certify licenses -- that seems like a wise principle to follow.

However, we will still need some sort of statement in our FAQ about the
public domain, because it's coming up w.r.t. US gov't works.  I think I
have enough information from this thread now to write that FAQ entry,
though, and point people to more detailed resources when they need them.

Many thanks to everyone for their patience with the nit-picky details of
this issue, btw.

-Karl

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]