Subject: RE: so waht? Re: WG: MSFT and GNU questions
From: "Brice, Richard" <BriceR@WSDOT.WA.GOV>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:19:40 -0700

> I hear what you're saying. Let me add that I hope no one picks a license
on
> the sole basis of simplicity as well.  Meet your needs.

This is exactly why my organization has created, and proposed for adoption,
the Alternate Route Open Source Licenses
(http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/eesc/bridge/alternateroute). We wanted a licenses
with the same spirit as (L)GPL, but our attorney felt that it didn't offer
broad enough disclaimers of warranty or protect from third party tort claims
arising out of the use of the software we create. Hence, we worked with FSF
to create a license that satisfied our needs.

Richard Brice, PE
Software Applications Engineer
Washington State Department of Transportation
Bridge and Structures Office