Subject: Re: gpl backlash?
From: bruce@perens.com
Date: 28 Jul 1999 04:54:22 -0000

From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
> If the application was created without ever using the GPL-ed code,
> it is clearly not a derivative work until the end user combines it
> with the GPL-ed code.

Right. And if the end-user does the combining, who is responsible?
Does the developer of the application _cause_ the end-user to combine
the library with the application? I'd say so, because the application
contains instructions in the ELF header to link in that library at run-time.

Let's get back to the frame metaphor. When I put a frame in my web page
that displays one of your web pages, I never copy your web page. The
frame is an instruction to the end-user's web browser to load your page
and format it with my page around it. My page is full of my own ads and
surrounds your page. Existing copyright law says _nothing_ that would
prevent me from doing this.

	Thanks

	Bruce