Subject: Re: license-mix, legal consequences?
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:26:39 -0700

begin John Cowan quotation:

> Suppose there are three original works:  A under the GPL, B under the
> MIT, C under the MPL.  You may create a derivative work A+B and license
> it under the GPL.  You may not license A+B under the MIT, because
> you are not allowed to create derivatives of A that are not licensed
> under the GPL.

Strictly speaking, you're not barred from _making_ works with
incompatible licences; the derivative work would just not be lawfully
_distributable_, as so doing would violate the licensing terms of the
third-party borrowed work.

Ditto for the other hypotheticals where you said "You may not create...."

(Pardon the small niggle, please.  Your general point was, as usual, well

Cheers,            "Orthodoxy is my doxy.  Heterodoxy is someone else's doxy."
Rick Moen               -- William Warburton, Bishop of Gloucester (1698-1779)