Subject: Re: Public Domain License
From: Rick Moen <>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:21:01 -0700

begin Karsten M. Self quotation:

> There are certainly works which have text attached to them stating that
> they are released to the public domain, or words to the effect.  The
> conventional understanding is that this means the work is licensed for
> use without conditions.  I'll refer to this as an unconditionally
> licensed work.  This raises additional questions of things important
> under contract law, such as consideration, which may be lacking, and
> would raise questions as to the validity of the license.

There's frequent confusion on this point:  Consideration is a required
element of _contracts_, but has no obvious relevance to grants of
non-default rights under copyright law.

IANAL, either.  This is not legal advice.

Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.
license-discuss archive is at